health advice

If it's not specifically parkour, it's in here.

health advice

Postby triggernometry » Sun Dec 28, 2008 11:00 pm

Hey im just looking for any advice cause in short im like 80 like a half centruy early and my doctors the least helpful person ive ever met - its basicly just when-ever i use one of my wrists in a Pk context mainly its fucking painful after 10-15 mins and when-ever im resting i.e not Pk'ing or at the gym my hips ache like hell , cant lay on my side in bed etc the best bit of advice i've had so far is to either get a second opinion from a diffrent doctor or that it might be a deep cold (my hips that is)

anyone got anything to suggest? i'll try pretty much anything im just hesitant to go back to the doctors (& the chemist said to forget about suplements and to just have a massarge once a month..)

cheers lads :mrgreen:
"'never been intrested in the score or the teams , only the game"

" ''when life gives you lemons , make G&T' and declare a party free for all"
triggernometry
Traceur

Re: health advice

Postby Dave » Mon Jan 05, 2009 1:00 am

Aching is not necessarily a bad thing, it just shows you where your weak spots are. All I'd suggest is to try and exercise those areas more gently in order to let them strengthen of their own accord. At the moment you're either trying to be too forceful too soon, or not giving your body enough time to recover between sessions.

If your rough age descriptions are accurate and you are 30, then it's worth noting that you are past your physical peak and will probably find it harder to strengthen than a teenager would, but it's still perfectly possible, it just happens more slowly. Just remember it's not a race, and progress at your own pace, like the rest of us.
~ Dave

Trying to be a helping hand from NorthernParkour and the British Parkour Coaching Association
Dave
Alliance

Postby triggernometry » Mon Jan 05, 2009 9:23 pm

man.
im not 30.
im just a bit special today...and suck at maths.
Im still a teenager...goddamn.

but thanks for the advice , i might stop training and going to the gym everyday and do it every other day or something =]
and im off to see another doctor so ..fingers crossed

triggernometry
Traceur

Postby Dave » Mon Jan 05, 2009 10:58 pm

If you're training every day and experiencing aches then it would suggest that there's a good chance you're overtraining. Cut back, and after training wait until your body feels strong again before training again. Otherwise it'll just get progressively worse.

When your body is fit and strong and used to it, it may be able to cope with training every day, but it doesn't look like that is the case at the moment.

Also remember that diet and sleep patterns can affect how long a person's body takes to recover.
~ Dave

Trying to be a helping hand from NorthernParkour and the British Parkour Coaching Association
Dave
Alliance

Postby david » Tue Jan 06, 2009 3:54 pm

What on earth are you doing in the gym every day? If you're using a gym for strength gains, then one hour two days a week is more than enough for most traceurs- especially since it's just a means to an end i.e. there's no point spending all that time getting stronger if you're not gonna apply it to movement. Strength training at the gym for a traceur every day is a complete waste of time. Your body does not get strong when you train, it gets strong when you rest. If you lift (heavy) in the gym for an hour, twice a week, as a supplement to your other types of training you'll see more gains faster.

As for your aches, the cause could be a number of things. Lack of flexibility, muscular imbalance, overtraining, impaired muscular activation. Without performing a number of tests it's impossible to tell what's causing the pain. The only thing I can recommend is the same as Dave.... rest. If you still have problems after a good rest followed by light training then you'll at least have eliminated overtraining from the cause and it's time to look to other potential causes.

See this as your first real test of parkour- you have a problem you must overcome. Eliminate each potential cause one by one until you find out what the real cause of the pain is. You'll learn quite a bit about yourself, your limits, abilites and strengths as you do. Good luck :)
david
Traceur

Postby Dave » Tue Jan 06, 2009 6:14 pm

That would be the 'beat them with a stick' method of giving advice, would it? ;) :)
~ Dave

Dave
Alliance

Postby dr.havoc » Tue Jan 06, 2009 6:24 pm

trigger personally you need to stop going to the gym everyday it is ok to relax a little :P don't want you to be the aching incredible hulk now do we ?. if you over train you can damage muscle tissue and over trainning is bad for ya health so live a little man. you don't need to be there everyday. i rarely use the gym i just do more strength trainning when i am out practising parkour. but to be honest relax live a little just don't be to laid back everyone deserves a little break just don't go crazy with ya trainning lol.
dr.havoc
Traceur

Postby david » Wed Jan 07, 2009 5:58 pm

Not sure what you mean by that Dave... the "What on earth are you doing in the gym every day?" was an actual question i.e. if you're training hard enough in the gym, going several days in a row is virtually impossible as you'll be wiped out. Other than out and out strength training there's not much you can do in a gym that you can't do elsewhere, and ususally with more productive results as far as parkour is concerned.
david
Traceur

Postby Dave » Wed Jan 07, 2009 8:02 pm

I was just poking fun at some forceful advice. What you said was fine, but I thought I'd lighten the tone a little in case the use of a rhetorical question came over a bit strong.
~ Dave

Dave
Alliance

Postby triggernometry » Wed Jan 07, 2009 8:46 pm

:) thanks lads this was helpful ; i cant help it if im a loser and have no life other than the gym.... :oops:
:lol:
though i must chip in that PK is only one aspect of the whole exericse/disciplin thing that i do so im at the gym for classes/K-boxin/squash/swimming and normal gym training but i wrote it all down including when i go PK or hike etc and it does seem like kinda alot ..(okay - i suppsoe this does make me a massive loser for having no other life!!) :lol:

I'll cut back going to the actual gym everyday (i'll start by reducing the time in the gym&pool before cutting out whole days classes and all lol though this is starting to sound as if im trying to quit smoking or something... :lol: ) and maybe i'll reduce the intesnsity too when in the gym and when im out and about.. thanks guys and im off to see my doctor tommorow after several cancelled apointments and i'll see what he says (i have a weird feeling i'll be off to the hospital again and then off to see the physio' ..fun fun :roll: )

thanks again :D

triggernometry
Traceur

Postby david » Thu Jan 08, 2009 12:01 am

Think I probably jumped to conclusions about what you actually do at the gym trig. That's quite a varied list, as opposed to my assumption that you were lifting weights every day of the week! Silly me :roll:

Personally, I'll often spend upwards of 3hrs when I visit- it's usually divided up between some mobility training/dynamic stretching to warm up, strength training, bit of stretching, soft tissue work, having a shower and then having a bite to eat before going home.... it's not exactly 3hrs of strength training ;)

As for visiting the physio- if you get a good one, take advantage! If you get a good one they'll have a wealth of knowledge and are likely to be happy to share it with you. Make the most of it and ask lots of questions, you might just learn something you can use.

See what you mean reading things back Dave. Could probably do with being a bit more thoughtful about how I offer advice.
david
Traceur

Postby triggernometry » Thu Jan 08, 2009 12:13 am

It's cool david no stress :mrgreen:

yeah i dont just pump iron ; when im not in some form of class and actually using the gym its the whole warm up - stretch - weights - cardio - body weight - stretch - weights - kb practise - swim - shower - home ; but even typing that out and looking at it seems alot to do everyday with classes , pk etc on top of that too.
oo-uhm i suppose i owe an appologie to my body haha

and yeah thanks for the advice i'll remember to take advantage oh whatever poor physio gets lumped with me :twisted:

triggernometry
Traceur

Postby triggernometry » Thu Jan 08, 2009 7:38 pm

- yeah i've been put on a 8 week waiting list for the physio and told not to exercise anything hips-down alot and to take ibprophen daily.
yay life will be fun all drugged out. not.

=/

triggernometry
Traceur

Postby david » Thu Jan 08, 2009 11:17 pm

Ibuprofen is simply a NSAID (non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drug). It's hardly gonna leave you 'drugged out'. Not sure where you got that idea from :? Although I wouldn't recommend going against your doctors directions, there are things you could do to help matters. Check out the link below to find out more about anti-inflammatory foods:-

http://nutrition.about.com/od/dietsform ... amfood.htm
david
Traceur

Postby triggernometry » Thu Jan 08, 2009 11:50 pm

lol i just have a problem with medication :lol:
yeeah im a freak i know :P
*clicks link*

triggernometry
Traceur